Want to drastically improve your blog post writing?
I've joined Wealthy Affiliate recently and the main problem I see with the new people creating blog posts is grammar and spelling errors.
I understand that not everybody is English and that the difference in language plays a big role, that is why I'm not judging, but helping.
So I'm not throwing rocks at anybody, my main goal is to help you to drastically improve blog post writing.
You can take a look at the index below and if you are only interested in a certain subject, go directly to that number.
What I'll be covering in this post:
- Why Grammar and spelling is important when creating blog posts
- How to easily fix writing and grammar errors
- How to find your own writing style
- Why you should never copy other people's work
- Where to learn more about creating websites to make money online
- Want to give the best service as a Freelancer?
- Where to learn more about writing better.
1) Why Grammar and spelling is important when creating blog posts
When people come to visit your website and it is full of spelling and grammar errors, they will think you are a fraud.
How can I be so blunt and straight forward - maybe even ugly?
Sometimes you have to hear the truth straightforward to realize how important it is for you to be a success online.
I know it might not be your intention to look like a fraud and deep inside, you really want to help people, but maybe English is not your first language or maybe you struggled with spelling in school and that hasn't changed.
I'm also not English, my first language is Afrikaans and before I found Grammarly, my way of finding the right spelling of a word was to type into Google "how to spell ....." and then the word I want to use.
But this method takes time, which is already not enough as it is.
2) How to easily fix writing and grammar errors
The easiest and best way I've come across recently is with Grammarly. Sign up for free and try it out. No obligations - no catch.
What is Grammarly and how does it work?
While I'm typing this, Grammarly is working, checking my work for typing or grammar errors.
Why not just use the normal old method? Let me show you how easy it is with Grammarly and then you can decide which is better:
While you type, Grammarly underlines any errors you are making. You can choose to either finish typing your entire document and then go over it to see what Grammarly marked and fix them, or you can run your eyes across your work every now and then to see how you are doing.
When you click on the error, it is highlighted and and you just click on the right one. No retyping necessary, Grammarly then changes your mistake to the one you chose. (If there are multiple choices)
If you click on correct with Grammarly, you are taken to the page where you can see more in detail what is wrong, like if you forgot a question mark or added a comma where it shouldn't be.
What else do you get in Grammarly?
The pictures says it all:
3) How to find your own writing style
The most common thing for people just starting out a website is how to write.
Everybody talks about finding your voice, but how do you find it?
The easiest way to explain it, is that your voice is already inside you, you just have to bring it to the surface.
When you start writing from your heart instead of from your head, you will see your writing improve drastically.
There are some things to keep in mind though:
- Remember that your Website is your business.
- If you portray a don't care attitude, people will see right through you.
- If you are not the type of person who uses high technical words to describe something, don't try to do it on your site - if people leave you a comment and you have to reply, they will see that your way of replying is different from your work and they will think that it is not your site.
- Stay true to yourself and who you are
Practice makes perfect
Practice writing daily.
Even if it is just a small piece of work you do for yourself, like describing what your cat did wrong today.
You don't have to publish it, you just have to practice your writing skills.
Write or type just what comes to mind, don't edit it and don't be critical. Just write from your heart.
When you are writing your blog posts, ask yourself these questions:
- What is the purpose of the piece I'm writing? (Is it to help someone or to show them something new)
- Why am I writing this? (Almost similar to the one above, but to the core, why? Is it because you have a passion for the subject and found out something new that you want to show to the world?)
- What is it saying that is significant about life, society or a human condition? (Like this piece is showing you what you should fix to drastically improve your blog post writing)
- How can I narrow this down, make it my own and dig deeper into the topic to make it more engaging for my reader? (If you are naturally a funny person, leverage this and add your funny voice to your work.)
- Just do it - the best way to write an awesome blog post is to start. When you've started, you will see all the ideas start flowing.
- Trust your instincts.
While you are writing, don't check for spelling or grammar errors, if you use Grammarly, you can just continue and check afterwards if everything is i order and if not, use it to quickly and easily fix your mistakes.
4) Why you should never copy other people's work
If you are struggling to write, you might think that you can borrow something from someone else and just copy it as it is.
STOP RIGHT THERE!!
Never copy other people's work. All work, even this I'm typing right now is copyrighted.
If you copy other people's work and publish it just as it is, you are guilty of stealing and when you get caught, it will cost you allot more money than the time it would have cost you to write your own work.
Another thing to consider if you are copying other people's work is the fact that every article in your site will look like it's been written by a different person - how can people know who you are if you're a fake?
How can they trust you or what you are saying if you look like a fake?
One person's work may sound more relaxed and lay back, while the other one's is full of high complex words and to find all of them on one site will surely let people think something is not right here.
If you do find someone's work online that you think "this fits right into my site and my topic, and the writing or work is amazing."
What you do is you write in your own voice your own work and you link to that post for people to find out more about it.
This way you are directing your audience to the person who worked hard at writing it and it shows that you are not just self promoting.
5) Where to learn more about creating websites to make money online
Here it is, short and sweet, because you are going to read allot more if you are reading this and you don't have a website yet, but you would love to get one, check out this post.
6) Want to give the best service as a Freelancer?
Are you looking for online jobs?
The most common way to find work online if you are not creating your own website (or looking for extra work) is to become a Freelancer.
Creating a job is the easy part, promoting and getting work is the hard part.
But if your work is high quality and you finish it before the deadlines, chances are you will get more work.
People talk and if they like your work, you will get more, because of word of mouth.
How can you make sure your work is of the best quality?
- Don't post a job if you will not be able to do it.
- Be honest about your abilities (to yourself - and to your customers)
- Do your research - before you post a job, make sure you know the ins and outs of what will be expected of you
- Be prepared - you must be prepared for anything about the job you are posting, don't post or advertise jobs when you know you will be away on holiday when people will need you to do a job.
- Get positive reviews - NEVER make up your own reviews. Get reviews from people you know, even if you have to do one or two jobs for free.
- Would you pay the amount you asked for it? If you would not pay the amount for the quality of work you are giving, don't expect other people to.
- Check your work before you send it to your customer to make sure it is the best quality.
Did you want to know how you can be the best transcriptionist?
7) Where to learn more about writing better.
If you feel that you would like to learn more about writing better and do some courses, you will find the information you need in the following post:
Whether you want to drastically improve blog post writing or freelance work, using Grammarly will make things a whole lot easier for you.
Try it out for free and decide if you think it's worth while.
Don't forget to share
Did you find this helpful? So will everybody else, so share it with them. To your right are the sharing buttons.
How about you?
Did you find these tips on How to drastically improve blog post writing helpful? Is there anything I left out that you would like to add?
Feel free to leave a comment below.